Your WaterFlood and Stream ManagementWatershed and Environment

Zone 7 Water Agency is the Administering Agency for Alameda County's "Water Wells Ordinance" (General Ordinance Number 0-2015-20) in Eastern Alameda County.

Any new well, well destruction, or well casing reconstruction (to extend, replace, or reperforate), including cathodic protection wells, must be permitted by Zone 7 before commencement of work. In addition, wells out of use for more than one year must either be permitted for destruction or reclassified as inactive by sending us a completed Zone 7 Statement of Future Well Use form.  

Also, any soil, soil vapor, or groundwater sampling project involving a temporary boring of ten feet or greater depth, including exploratory or remedial work, must be permitted by Zone 7 Water Agency.

How to Apply for a Drilling Permit

1.  Determine whether proposed project is within Zone 7's jurisdiction, which includes Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton, Sunol, and all incorporated areas in eastern Alameda County, as shown on the Jurisdiction Map.

2.  Download and complete the Application for Drilling Permit.

3.  Add a sitemap showing proposed well or boring locations.

4.  For supply wells, additionally download and complete the Supply Well Supplemental Form. Types of supply wells include domestic, irrigation, livestock, municipal, dewatering, and industrial wells.

5.  Review standard well construction and well/borehole seal requirements outlined in Zone 7's drilling Permit Conditions.

6.  Permit fees are payable by check (made out to "Zone 7 Water Agency") or cash at Zone 7's administrative offices in Livermore. Credit cards and Paypal are not accepted at this time. See Drilling Permit Fee Schedule for appropriate amount.

7.  Application, sitemap, and payment must be received by Zone 7 Water Agency at least ten business days before proposed start date. Submit documents with attention to "Drilling Permits" as follows:

Zone 7 Water Agency
Attn:  Drilling Permits
100 North Canyons Parkway
Livermore, CA  94551-948

Documents may also be emailed to, however, a permit cannot be issued until the permit fees have been paid.

8.  Email Zone 7 at to schedule inspection at least 24 hours prior to drilling, and provide start time and phone number of your on-site representative.

9.  Following well installation, fill out DWR Form 188, Well Completion Report. Enter "Zone 7 Water Agency" as the "Local Permit Agency" and include Zone 7 "Well Number" provided in drilling permit as shown in the Sample Completion Report. Submit report to DWR and Zone 7 Water Agency.

10. For additional information, email or call 925-454-5000.

Permit Application 

Permit Documents and Tools